Monday, April 1, 2013

Ian Gabriel, 13 years

Thirteen years.

A teenager.

I was a teenager myself when he was born. I always knew I wanted to be a mother--I have loved babies for as long as I can remember. I was barely nineteen when I gave birth to my beautiful boy and that is the moment my life changed forever.

When I saw him for the first time, I saw my purpose. Nothing else mattered in my world but this precious life that I had carried under my heart for 40 weeks. He arrived on his due date. He was (and still is to this day) the most beautiful baby I had ever seen. I fell completely in love with this person I had just met.



 He was a fussy, colicky baby that wanted to sleep in my arms and I let him. I remember lying in bed with him at night staring at his long lashes while he nursed. I felt like I was made to be his mother.



It was just the two of us for a very long time. We had so much fun together, but it was very hard being a single mom, working full time, and going to school full time. He was the reason I pushed through.

He is the reason my life is where it is. He suggested I marry Philip--who was one of my best friends--when he was 6 years old.  He is the reason Philip confessed he wanted to be more than friends. He has been the best sidekick I could ever ask for.

He's now a teen (?!?). It has been a very emotional few weeks for me as I try to come to terms with that. My polite, sweet, big-hearted boy is changing. He's taller than me. He shaves. He's moody and can be a complete jerk. (But almost always realizes it and apologizes) 

He's growing up...and it's terrifying.

I miss that innocent, sweet face that would ask  me to sing him to sleep every night. I'm so very proud of what a wonderful young man he is becoming. He has the best heart of anyone I know and is just as gorgeous on the inside as he is on the outside.


He hates that I still make him do photos shoots, but that's what happens with me as a mom. These pretty much sum up the moody, hormonal faces I see on a regular basis, so at least that's fitting. :)


Happy Birthday, Ian. You still melt me with those eyes and I'm so grateful I am your mom. I can't believe you are 13...





















5 comments:

KarlaJean77 said...

These are awesome! I can't believe he is a teenager!! He is gorgeous, just like his momma! I have always strove to have the relationship with Michael that I have seen you have with Ian. Welcome to the next phase!!

Unknown said...

Good grief how is he a teen...he is one great kid. I love the way he is with Harrison. He definetly got your nurturing gene...

I am proud of you Ian. I look forward to watching you grow through these teenage years into a young man. Be true to yourself. You have a heart of gold.

I love you.
Candace

Nicole Elliott said...

Well, this post brought me to tears!!!! I can't believe he is 13. Time seriously flies.

Ian, Happy Birthday buddy!! You are an amazing young man that I feel lucky to know. Never loose your kindness and compassion - they will always serve you well in life. Be brave, try new things, and always love as much as you can. I know you have an army of people that will never stop loving you!

Brooke, thank you for continuing to teaching me what awesome moms look like. What you have accomplished in these past 13 years is nothing short of impressive and inspiring.

Love you guys!!
Nicole

Nicole Elliott said...

P.S.....The pictures are awesome!!!! You look so handsome Ian!

Krista Lee said...

I'm all teary eyed after reading this... I can't believe he's 13 either... I still remember him as that sweet little guy at our first photo shoot! :(